Saturday, May 19, 2012

DMX – The Weigh In MIXTAPE REVIEW







DMX – The Weigh In (3 out of 5)

Let me start off by stating that I am a DMX fan since the beginning and been waiting for a comeback for some time. While DMX makes the finishing touches on his new album he has released an EP titled “The Weigh In”. While some fans may be content with just some new music from the Dark Man X, I for one am not that impressed. My hopes are that these tracks are just cutting room floor material because in the present industry we are in I do not see it getting received as well. 



 
The biggest let down is the collaboration with Snoop Dogg and production from Dr. Dre. “Shit don’t Change” features a recycled beat from Dre, which was originally used on Snoop Dogg’s track “Boss Life” from Tha Blue Carpet Treatment album. So either this was intentional or the good doctor has gotten lazy. Now aside from that there was a very weak hook by Snoop, which was a big letdown. My hope is that if these three collaborate again the result would be a top notch track.




The EP is not a total let down, tracks like “Where I Wanna Be”, “Last Hope” and “That’s My Baby” redeem this EP from becoming a coaster.
 
My best advice is to treat this as just something to hold you over until the album comes out and do not base this as any inclination as to what the actual album will sound like.



 
- Migs

Follow me on twitter @ThaRealMigs

No comments:

Post a Comment